Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hard Liquors of the Balkans

Rummaging through my bottom drawer at work, I found (among empty boxes of knee-high trouser socks, manhandled paper clips and empty Tupperware) a bottle of the famed "Ţuică"– the traditional Romanian liquor made out of plums.

I proceeded to trick one of my co-workers into trying it. “It smells sweet,” he said. “It’s made out of fruit,” I said, disingenuously. “My grandma makes it.” I filled the bottle’s cap and passed it to him. He took a swig and nearly died. A few minutes later, eyes watery and red-faced, he managed to croak, throat visibly throbbing “Wow. Grandma likes it strong.”

Before alienating any more of my American colleagues with shots of unexpectedly strong Romanian moonshine, here’s an outline of what Ţuică is, how it’s made and who are its other Balkan/East European cousins.

  1. Ţuică [tsui-ka] (Romania) – Double or triple-distilled alcohol, traditionally out of plums or, the poor man’s version, out of fermented grape skins left over from the wine press. Variations include pear, apple (Ed’s favorite) and apricot (although that one is dangerously close to schnapps territory) and is sometimes also know as Palinka, a stronger version. Ţuică is drank before dinner/lunch, with an appetizer of fresh cheese or home-made cheese pastry and is usually enjoyed in the company of guests. Anywhere between 40% and 60% ABV (alcohol by volume). My grandma’s, clearly, leans towards the higher end of the spectrum …
  2. Rakia [rakija] (Bulgarian: ракия) - Distilled alcohol made out of plums or mixed fruits throughout the Slavic countries (Bulgaria, Bosnia, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, etc.) I can only speak about Bulgarian Rakia (ракия) because that’s the only one I tried (repeatedly). Rakia is best before dinner, with a platter of smoked and dry meats and salty cheese, and the excellent Shopska Salata the make in Bulgaria: chunky tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and fresh cheese, occasionally topped with grilled peppers. Yum – Mnogo Dobre!!
  3. Tsipouro (Greek: Τσίπουρο) – Tzuica and Rakia are both related to Greece’s Tsipouro, a drink made out of the residue of the wine press. Like many enlightened things, tsipouro is said to have been invented by monks, who, in a spirit of economy, thought up new ways to recycle leftover grape skins into something of value. And what value: 45 % ABV, to be drank cold or hot, depending on the season.
  4. Grappa (Italy) – I would be remiss not to include the Italian liquor in this prestigious line-up, since it’s the analogy I use most often to explain Tzuica to my American friends. Given their facial expressions at the mention of Grappa, though, I may not be doing Tzuica any favors (…). This Italian liquid jewel is also made from grape-based pomace and is in the same ABV range as the above. However, Grappa differs from Tzuika, Rakia and Tsipouro in that it is served as a “digestif” rather than an “aperitif,” which brings it into the same family as limoncello, brandy, tequila and wiskey.

  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aloha xenofornia.blogspot.com owner discovered your blog via Google but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your blog http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my blog. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com