Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Breaking News: Soul Searching Yields Results

The good news first: While thinking about all the things this blog could become, and all the things I don't have time to do, I had a "Click" moment (repeatedly, of course, as it takes more than one click to make me tick) -- I'm dying to tell the world about the fantastic books that I've read and films I've watched these past few years. And so I shall.

The bad news now: Well. *clearing throat* A moment of honesty is required here. I started this blog as a shameless tool of professional self-promotion. So that bad news is actually more good news. Self-promotion - finito! I am now writing for the sheer love of reading :-)

Planning to go public, too, as soon as I have a few reviews under my belt.

Till then, check out this piece from the NYT on what they call "Neuro Lit Crit". What they say is that brain mapping may provide answers to our penchant for one kind or another of literature, and our abilities to empathize with others.

This paragraph, however, delivers good news on a mightily depressing tone:

“At a time when university literature departments are confronting painful budget cuts, a moribund job market and pointed scrutiny about the purpose and value of an education in the humanities, the cross-pollination of English and psychology is providing a revitalizing lift”

Yppie-ya-yey?


No comments: